Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Commuter Goes to Bacolod: San Sebastian Cathedral


The imposing Cathedral of San Sebastian…was the work of Fr. Mauricio Ferrero, O.A.R., and the parish priest of Bacolod City (1871-1898; 1902-1910). The original church was constructed in 1825 under the leadership of Fr. Julian Gonzaga (parish priest in 1818-1836). The old church was made of wood and galvanizes roofing. It had one medium-sized bell, until Father Roman Manuel Locsin donated a huge bell and later Fr. Mariano de Avila donated another one when he became the parish priest in 1863 after the death of Fr. Locsin, Fr. De Avila’s bell was installed in the tower when the Cathedral was constructed in 1876, but lowered in 1969 when the towers were reconstructed. It was never returned there, but in 1976 the Sugarlandia Lions Club of Bacolod constructed a special belfrey where it hangs today with the small bell purchased by Fr. Ferrero.

This info was copied from Inside Negros: Promoting Negros Online.


The cathedral was the first place I've been to. My dad and I were being driven to the drugstore and the driver happened to pass by the Public Plaza. I saw the church and I jumped on the opportunity to have a look. Personally, the visit meant so much more to me.


Ah! Less blurry than the other one. I spent some quiet time in the church. In fact, I was kinda shy in taking some more pictures. But the real reason why I only had a few was that my camera ran out of batteries--which was irritating because the batteries were charged overnight! Unbelievable! Oh well! 

More sights from may trip to Bacolod. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment